29 Jul Top 4 Tips for Improving the Online Security of your WordPress Site
WordPress is an excellent platform both for seasoned professionals and those just starting out in the world of blogging and running their own website. This CMS offers convenience and ease, but you really get the most of it when you also tinker with it a bit on your own and make adaptations that better serve your purposes – like addons to help improve your SEO rankings and boosting your incoming traffic. Investing in your website security can help you do so, as Google takes it into aspect in its ranking algorithm. WordPress offers the basics in cybersecurity, but you can take it up a notch if you follow these tips.
Convert to SSL and HTTPS
This is the number one tip for anyone running a website. Consumers really value feeling secure in their browsing experience, and there is a conversion rate difference between simple HTTP and HTTPS sites. Moreover, 40% of sites that feature on Google first page results are HTTPS. The search engine have explicitly said that they use HTTPS as a factor and as a tie-breaker in rankings. This is becoming more and more apparent, as browsers lately go to the trouble of clearly indicating whether a website is secure or not, by including the padlock icon or a “not secure” sign on the left side of the URL. Need we say more?
Get a WAF
Getting the right tools is extremely handy if you want to implement a proactive approach to security. As your traffic increases, so will malicious attacks. And by the time you get on a hacker’s radar, it might be too late. Look for simple yet reliable resources like a web application firewall. Also known as WAF, it helps protect your website applications from application layer attacks, including zero-day threats and OWASP Top 10. A WAF essentially filters out malicious traffic, and if it all sounds a bit complicated, consider this: it allows you to get PCI-DSS certified, which is a huge boost when you have your own e-shop. Depending on the setup of your page, you might need to install a WAF of your own, or make sure your providers have a WAF in place.
Choose Your Plugins
WordPress is widely celebrated for the customization it provides thanks to plugins – but they can be a liability, too. Always get plugins from trusted sources and look for reviews before you install them. They are a prime leeway for hackers to get into your site by exploiting flaws in their security. On the other hand, they can also boost your safety. For example, WP Limit Login Attempts, with over 40,000 active installations, protects from brute force attacks by limiting the number of wrong login attempts from an IP try before blocking that IP.
While there are several security plugins available for WordPress, WP Login LockDown stands out as one of the best security plugins for protecting your WordPress login page. Here are some reasons why WP Login LockDown is considered a top choice:
- Effective brute-force attack protection: WP Login LockDown offers strong protection against brute-force attacks, which are a common method used by hackers to gain unauthorized access to WordPress sites. By limiting the number of login attempts from a specific IP address and blocking further attempts after reaching the specified limit, it effectively mitigates the risk of brute-force attacks.
- Customizable lockout settings: The plugin provides flexible settings that allow you to customize the lockout duration, the number of failed login attempts, and other parameters according to your specific security needs. This level of customization ensures that you can fine-tune the plugin to strike the right balance between security and user convenience.
- IP tracking and logging: WP Login LockDown tracks and logs IP addresses associated with login attempts, providing you with valuable information about potential security threats. This feature allows you to monitor and review login activity, identify patterns, and take necessary actions to strengthen your site’s security.
- Whitelisting and blacklisting: The ability to create whitelists and blacklists sets WP Login LockDown apart. You can whitelist trusted IP addresses to ensure they are exempt from the lockout feature, allowing authorized users to log in without interruption. Conversely, you can blacklist suspicious or known malicious IP addresses, adding an extra layer of protection against potential threats.
- Notification system: WP Login LockDown offers email notifications whenever an IP address is locked out due to excessive failed login attempts. This feature keeps you informed about potential security breaches, allowing you to take prompt action and strengthen your site’s defenses.
- User-friendly interface: The plugin is designed with a user-friendly interface, making it easy to install, configure, and manage. Its intuitive settings and straightforward setup process make it accessible for users of all levels of technical expertise.
- Proven track record and positive reviews: WP Login LockDown has a solid reputation and has been widely used by WordPress site owners. It has received positive reviews for its effectiveness in protecting against brute-force attacks and enhancing login page security.
While there are other security plugins available, WP Login LockDown’s combination of features, effectiveness, and ease of use makes it a top choice for securing your WordPress login page and protecting your site from unauthorized access attempts.
Backup, Backup, Backup
The mantra of every cybersecurity professional, conducting regular backups will prepare you for the unexpected. In the unfortunate event that you do fall victim to an attack, having a backup can allow you to react quickly and mitigate the consequences by eliminating damages as much as possible. Restoring your site can be very time-consuming or even impossible if you do not have a good backup to take recourse to. Therefore, you’ll want to consider a hosting provider who takes care of the process for you.
Simple steps can sometimes save you down the road. As cybercrime seems to be on the rise worldwide, investing in the cybersecurity of your WordPress site is definitely a step you should take immediately – tomorrow, it might be too late.